Search here ...

Search the NJCU Knowledge Base for answers to many frequently asked questions.

What do I need to do to activate my GI Bill benefits?

You are here:
< All Topics

If this is the first time you are ever activating your benefits, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 and hand in either a DD214 (separation papers) or a DD2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE) from your reserve unit.

If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you need to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).  You should also provide a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.

Veterans filing under Ch. 33 who are transfer students must also provide a copy of their entitlement letter.

Dependents of Veterans should fill out VA Form 22-5490 for initial applications, and 22-5495 for transfers from other institutions.

All forms can be filled out online here:

Please print copies for our office prior to submitting the forms, and visit us in GSUB, Room 127

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Table of Contents