Search here ...

Search the NJCU Knowledge Base for answers to many frequently asked questions.

My computer doesn’t work. Help!

You are here:
< All Topics

Staff and faculty using a University computer should call (x4357) or email the IT Help Desk for service. Students should contact their hardware vendor.

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Table of Contents