Search here ...

Search the NJCU Knowledge Base for answers to many frequently asked questions.

Can I take a class on a pass/fail basis?

You are here:
< All Topics

A student has the option of requesting a final grade of Pass or Fail (Pass/Fail) instead of a letter grade in an elective, General Education Program elective, or academic minor course, according to the following guidelines:

The Pass/Fail option is limited to nine (9) total credits;
No more than one (1) course per semester may be elected under this option;
Pass/Fail evaluation is interpreted to mean a grade of “Pass” for satisfactory completion of course requirements and a grade of “Fail” for an unsatisfactory completion of course requirements. When the “Pass” grade is given, the credits assigned to the course are indicated as earned, but the student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) remains unaffected. A “Fail” grade negatively affects the CGPA.

Each student must submit, to the Registrar’s Office, a completed Pass/Fail form designating his/her choice of Pass/Fail evaluation. One copy of this form remains with the Registrar’s Office and one is given to the student. The Pass/Fail option is not available for All University Requirement courses. A student’s election of a Pass/Fail grade may not be changed after the form is filed in the Registrar’s Office.

The Registrar’s Office can also be reached at

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Table of Contents